Koh Sin Yee is Assistant Professor of Geography at the IAS. She was previously Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Public Policy at City University of Hong Kong. Her research, positioned at the intersection of migration studies and urban studies, is informed by three areas of interests: (1) postcolonial geography and colonial legacies; (2) migration/mobilities and citizenship; and (3) urbanisation, inequality and social change.
CV of Dr. Sin Yee Koh
- Transnational migration and mobilities
- Citizenship: differentiated identity, membership, and rights
- Colonial legacies
- Urbanisation, inequality, financialisation, and social change
- Intermediaries, agents and brokers (in relation to migration and urbanisation)
- Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Hong Kong, China
- Koh, S.Y. (2017) Race, Education, and Citizenship: Mobile Malaysians, British Colonial Legacies, and a Culture of Migration. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. ‘Migration, Diasporas, and Citizenship’ series. [Access]
- Forrest, R., Koh, S.Y., & Wissink, B. (Eds.) (2017) Cities and the Super-Rich: Real Estate, Elite Practices, and Urban Political Economies. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. ‘The Contemporary City’ series. [Access]
Journal Special Issues
Rogers, D., & Koh, S.Y. (Eds.) (2017) The Globalisation of Real Estate: The Politics and Practice of Foreign Real Estate Investment [Special Issue]. International Journal of Housing Policy, 17(1), pp. 1–144. [Access]
- Koh, S.Y. (with B. Wissink) (2018) Enabling, Structuring and Creating Elite Transnational Lifestyles: Intermediaries of the Super- Rich and the Elite Mobilities Industry. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 44(4), 592–609. [Access]
- Koh, S.Y. (2015) How and Why Race Matters: Malaysian-Chinese Transnational Migrants Interpreting and Practising Bumiputera-Differentiated Citizenship. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 41(3), 531–550. [Access]
- Koh, S.Y. (2015) State-led Talent Return Migration Programme and the Doubly Neglected ‘Malaysian Diaspora’: Whose Diaspora, What Citizenship, Whose Development? Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 36(2), 183–200. [Access]
- Koh, S.Y. (2017) Geographies of Education-Induced Skilled Migration: The Malaysian Case. In T. Abebe & J. Waters (Eds.), Labouring and Learning (pp. 221–242). Vol.10 of the series Geographies of Children and Young People, edited by T. Skelton. Singapore: Springer. [Access]
- Koh, S.Y., Wissink, B., & Forrest, R. (2016) Reconsidering the Super-rich: Variations, Structural Conditions, and Urban Consequences. In I. Hay & J. Beaverstock (Eds.) Handbook on Wealth and the Super-Rich (pp. 18–40). Cheltenham; Norhampton, MA: Edward Elgar. [Access]
Editorials and Commentaries
- Rogers, D., & Koh, S.Y. (2017) The Globalisation of Real Estate: The Politics and Practice of Foreign Real Estate Investment. International Journal of Housing Policy, 17(1), pp. 1–14. [Access]
Sin Yee Koh presented a paper at the international conference on Trans-Asian Mobilities and Encouters: Exchange, Commodification and Sustainability, 23-24 Jan 2017, at Chulalongkorn University.
Sin Yee Koh was invited to present a paper at the workshop on Youth Mobilities and Immobilities in the Asia-Pacific Region, 6-7 Nov 2016, at the Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore.