CY Hoon is Associate Professor of Anthropology at IAS, and Director of Centre for Advanced Research at the University of Brunei Darussalam. He is also Adjunct Research Fellow at the University of Western Australia (UWA), where he obtained his PhD (with Distinction) in 2007. In his previous appointment at Singapore Management University, he received the SMU Teaching Excellence Award in 2012 and SMU Research Excellence Award in 2014.
• Chinese diaspora
• Identity politics
• Multicultural education
• Religious and cultural diversity in Contemporary Indonesia and Southeast Asia
• Hoon, C.Y., and Chan, Y.K. (2020) Chineseness in Motion: The Historicity of Nation and Contingency of Ethnicity in China and among the Chinese Diaspora, Springer.
• Menkhoff, T., Chay, Y.W., Evers, H-D. and Hoon, C.Y. (2014) Catalysts of Change: Chinese Business in Asia, World Scientific Publishing, Singapore. [https://doi.org/10.1142/8730]
• Sai, S.M., & Hoon, C.-Y. (Eds.) (2013) Chinese Indonesians Reassessed: History, Religion and Belonging. London; New York: Routledge. [Access]
• Hoon, C.Y. (2008) Chinese Identity in Post-Suharto Indonesia: Culture, Politics and Media. Brighton; Portland: Sussex Academic Press. [Access]
• Hoon, Chang-Yau, and Esther Kuntjara, (2019) “The Politics of ‘Mandarin Fever’ in Contemporary Indonesia: Resinicization, Economic Impetus, and China’s Soft Power”, Asian Survey, 59(3), pp. 573-594.
• Harjatanaya, Tracey, and Chang-Yau Hoon, (2019) “Politics of Schooling in Post-Suharto Indonesia: A Study of the Chinese Minority”, Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education (Accepted 23/06/2018).
• Hoon, Chang-Yau, (2019) “Continuity and Change: The Dynamics of Chineseness in Indonesia”, South East Asia: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 19, pp.1-13.
• Hamdan, Mahani, and Hoon, Chang-Yau. (2019) “Brunei Darussalam: Making Strides with a Renewed Focus on the Future”, Southeast Asian Affairs, 46, pp.85-102. [DOI: 10.1525/as.2019.59.3.573]
• Hoon, C.-Y. (2016) “Mapping Chineseness on the Landscape of Chinese Churches in Indonesia”. Asian Ethnicity, 17(2), 228-247. [Access]
• Hoon, C.-Y. (2016) “Aspirations among Urban Christians in Contemporary Indonesia”. International Sociology, 31(4), 413-431. [Access]
Since joining UBD in July 2016, CY Hoon has been invited to speak at the UNESCO International Peace Conference in Paris, the ASEAN Forum in Sydney, ISEAS Conference on Chinese Indonesians in Singapore, International Think Tank Conference in Beijing, Soka International Seminar on Peace and Understanding in Singapore, SEASREP Workshop in Manila and Shanghai Forum in China.
CY Hoon was a Visiting Fellow at ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, Singapore, from June to July 2017; and the Network of ASEAN-China Academic Institutes Youth Visiting Scholar at Fudan University from October to November 2017.